Electric Vehicles are becoming a fast and emerging technology. Plug-in electric vehicles (also known as electric cars or EVs) are connected, fun, and practical. They can reduce emissions and save you money.
You’ll enjoy the silent motor and smooth acceleration of an electric vehicle. Gas engines vibrate and get louder as they rev up, and transmissions add in noise as well. With electric, those elements aren’t involved, leaving a quiet ride. Plus, electric motors have top-notch instant torque, taking you from full stop to highway speeds in no time flat.
Just like a smart phone, you can plug in your EV when you get home and have it ready for you to use the next morning. Since the electric grid is available almost anywhere, there are a variety of options for charging: at home, at work or on the road.
Q & A
Are Rebates available for EVs?
- In addition to the incentives offered through Wild Rice Electric, current federal consumer tax credits are available from$2,500 to $7,500 based on the size of the vehicle's battery.
How much will charging my EV cost?
- At the standard electric rate, most electric vehicles can be fully recharged for about $3. For cooperative or municipals consumers who participate in Minnkota’s off-peak charging program, it costs about 65 cents to drive an electric vehicle the same distance that an average car can go on a gallon of gasoline. The stable rate does not fluctuate like the price of gasoline.
How long will it take to charge my EV?
- A typical electric car (ex. Nissan Leaf) take four hours to charge from empty using a 7KW home charger.
How far can you drive on a fully charged battery?
- A 7KW home charger provides about 30 miles per hour of charge
- All-electric vehicles currently range from 62 miles to more than 290 miles (Tesla Model X) on a full charge. Hybrids typically range from 10 to 53 miles on the electric battery.
How long until the average battery needs replacement?
- The lifetime of the battery varies greatly between models and is impacted by charging and driving practices. It is important to check with the manufacturer's warranty before purchasing the vehicle. Most vehicles have a 10-year battery warranty, while others are through the life of the vehicle.
Click on the links below to learn more about Electric Vehicles:
Wild Rice Electric's EV Charging Program
Wild Rice Electric's EV Off-Peak Agreement Form
Minnkota Power's Electric Vehicle Webpage